Sunday 17 April 2016

RECAP: Sigma Run 2016


Annually, Sagicor Jamaica has an event called Sigma Run dedicated to raising funds for individuals in need. The theme for this year's 5k run was Run for the fun. Donate to the cause and this one was for breast cancer. The run was held on Sunday, February 21, 2016, and I was repping' with the This is Really Great Yogurt Team (pictured above). 

This was my second time doing the Sigma Run. We (Myself, brother, and sister-in-law) 
travelled from St. Catherine to get to Kingston for the event. When we arrived, people like ants! They were everywhere and we passed a few making their way to the start. 

The opening proceedings included greetings from various individuals, reflections of the previous year, a moment of silence which was dedicated to Alicia Prince, who passed away while participating at Sigma last year, precautions and appeals to participants to pace themselves and take it easy. As well as the funds raised for this year. This year Sigma Run raised 43 Million dollars! 

I had planned to vlog this year, so I had my water, matey bag and camera on deck. The race started off a bit late due to the opening activities; however, got in full swing as soon as they were finished. The start line was at Knutsford Boulevard and ended at Emancipation Park.

The starting line had beautiful artwork done by students from Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts.

Photo credits to Sagicor Ja

 Photo credits to Jamaica Observer 


I was registered as a walker, as such I was not able to run. Nevertheless, it wasn't a bad walk. There were three water stops and three medical stops as well. The medical stop was an excellent move that Sagicor did. It was obvious that they considered what took place the prior year.

At the 3k mark, my leg started cramping up a little because I have short legs and I was trying to take long quick steps. lol 

I have no idea how long it took me to get to the finish line (I didn't check the time from my bib) but it didn't feel like a 5k race. We got to the finish line quite quick in comparison to last year. It was a comfortable walk and I tried not to push myself too much. Plus, I kept staring at people's hair. So much gorgeous natural hair and locs!

Overall, it was good! I felt super energized and ready for the day. At the end of each race, I say I'm going to start training so that I can win something but it never happens. Now, I'm just focused on the cause as opposed to winning.

                                                                  Here's the vlog of my experience.



You can also keep up with my social journey on YouTube:
VIDEO: Social Journey of an Introvert Ep 1
VIDEO: Social Journey of an Introvert Ep 2
VIDEO: Social Journey of an Introvert Ep 3

No comments:

Post a Comment