Monday 26 February 2024

Is Omega-3 the Answer for Hair Growth and Thickness?


For this week's blog post, we will be talking about omega-3s and its benefits. 

Omega-3s are polyunsaturated fatty acids that are found in certain types of fish, vegetables, and other plant sources. The body does not produce these fatty acids naturally but they are necessary for our bodies to function.

There are three (3) types of Omega-3s. 

1. ALA: alpha-linolenic acid (found in plants)
2. DHA: docosahexaenoic acid (found in animal foods and algae)
3. EPA: eicosapentaenoic acid (found in animal foods and algae)


Examples of food sources rich in Omega 3.





Adding foods rich in omega-3 to your diet may help with heart health. You can get these nutrients from your food or supplements. The nutrients from omega-3s have been found to improve the conditions of the skin and the quality of hair. It protects the hair against sun damage, decreases hair loss, balances the hair's cycle, and improves the quality and density. 

An excerpt from the article, Are Fish Oil Capsules Good for Skin & Hair? stated:

"The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil capsules can also benefit your hair, making it shinier and stronger. Omega-3s are a healthy fat, helping to reduce skin dryness that can lead to dandruff or an itchy scalp. The natural oils that lubricate the scalp, hair, and skin tend to lessen as we age. The omega-3s in fish oil capsules will help alleviate this dryness that leads to brittle hair and wrinkles. A study published in "Dermatologic Clinics" in 2013 reported that hair follicles can be impaired by a lack of essential fatty acids."


Key functions of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids:

1. Support cell growth
2. Boost blood circulation
3. Anti-inflammatory properties


For 9 months (April-December 2015), I conducted an experiment on myself. The experiment included a regimen of taking fish oil supplements and observing the results on my hair.  In 2014, I added the supplement to my routine; however, I did not take them for my hair. I started taking them for health benefits. But, soon noticed that my hair was also being impacted after someone commented on the thickness of my hair one day. 

I never thought the change was a result of the supplement. I stopped taking the supplement and some time later another person asked why it didn't look as thick. It was then that I began to reflect. 

I re-tracked and the only difference was not taking the fish oil. A light bulb went off and I decided to take the fish oil on a schedule and record the results.

I took 1-2 capsules each day consistently from April to August 2015. Took a break in September and commenced the routine again in October to the end of the year. 

I ended the experiment in December 2015 and did another course in February 2016.






(2015) Twist out after trims mentioned above. 



 (June 3, 2015) I began taking the supplements in April. This is two months into the experiment. My hair was stretched using the Ponytail Method 


 

December 2015 End of the experiment






March 14, 2016, You can see a difference in the thickness here. Part of my hair is pulled back and it isn't fully separated. But, there is a slight decrease in the thickness.



April 7, 2016, Braid Out on Blow-dried hair. Two months after the experiment.


From the results, I concluded that omega-3s really do help with the overall health of the hair. I noticed it impacted the thickness; however, in conjunction with having a hair care routine. When I took breaks, I did notice a slight increase in shedding. But! Not like "Oh My Goodness! I'm going bald." No. The thickness goes down a bit but it's not an extreme shift.

Factors such as how much you fluff or separate a style play a part in how big the hair looks but ceasing the supplements does impact the density a bit.

'The omega-3s in fish oil capsules will help alleviate dryness that leads to brittle hair' I believe that this is accurate. There was an obvious difference in the texture and quality of my hair. Notably, there was a decrease in the thickness, but the quality didn't change. The hair remained very lush even without the supplements.

From my experience, I agree that omega 3s do help with the thickness of hair but more importantly the overall health.

I'd continue to incorporate this into my regimen for overall health benefits with the perks of great hair too! 


What are your thoughts? What has been your experience taking supplements for your hair?

Let's connect in the comments

Note: I am a researcher and these results are a record of my own experience.

Resources:
Fish oil for Hair and Skin
How to use Fish Oil for Hair (Liquid)

No comments:

Post a Comment