Is your hair in need of a pick me up? Dry, brittle? Don't have enough money to go and splurge on a 'magical deep conditioner'? I got you!
Like always I try to keep my DYOs simple for you and I. The important ingredients are mayonnaise and a over-ripen banana. That's it. Surprisingly, mayonnaise contains many of the properties in our store bought products. Protein, humidifiers and wait for it, silicone.
1. It contains oils (humidifiers- these pull-in moisture) that penetrate the hair and deeply moisturizes hair.
2. It coats the hair easily- like a (silicone) and aids in shine and protection while heat styling (protein).
3. Replenishes weak strands to prevent breakage (protein) and also encourages new growth.
But why over-ripen banana? Has the banana ages, its antioxidant levels increase. Antioxidants provide protection of cells, promotes growth, maintains hair colour, and the integrity of hair. Vitamin C assists the absorption of iron; which is necessary for oxygenation. Oxygen stimulates cell metabolism and increases blood flow which ultimately promotes hair growth. Vitamin A regulates sebum production (oil on the scalp) keeping scalp and hair lubricated while vitamin E stimulates circulation. Doesn't it sound amazing?
What you'll need:
1 over ripen banana
3 tbsp of mayonnaise (depending on hair density you may use more or less)
Essential oil for scent (recommended)
1. Remove the skin, cut banana into smaller pieces and place in blender.
2. Add 3 tbsp of mayonnaise
3. Thoroughly blend
4. Place in a recycled bottle to reduce mess.
5. Apply to dry hair and leave for 40 minutes.
6. Follow with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
7. Style has desired.
Mess Level: Medium
N.B I do recommend adding something to mask the smell of the mayonnaise. Especially if you are not a fan of the smell of eggs. I didn't have anything to mask the smell and I had to give my bathroom a thorough cleaning because my mom hates the smell. But! My hair was super shiny, strong but soft to touch. Pictured is after using this dc, followed regimen and did a quick twist out.
Happy deep conditioning!
Oxygen and scalp