The term pudding may commonly striker the thought, "hell a top, hell a bottom and hallejuah inna di miggle." This speaks to the traditional method of baking pudding- the pudding is baked in a dutch pot (pictured) with live coals on the bottom and also on the top.Some examples of puddings include sweet potato combined with other ingredients such as yam, cocoa and banana. However, most be used in small portions. As well as bread pudding, rice pudding, cornmeal pudding and cassava pudding.
This is a great treat to have has dessert or even for breakfast with a nice cup of tea. It is nice and soft and when it's warm; absolutely divine.
Pictured is my mom baking outside but the recipe below is oven version (not her recipe).
Source for Recipe
• 1 -1/2 pound Sweet potato (grated)
• 1- 1/2 cups Brown sugar
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 cup Cornmeal
• 2 cups coconut milk, Cow's Milk
• 1/2 cup Raisins
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon Mixed spice
• 1/2 cup Red Wine or Water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon coconut oil.or ( moisted Butter)
Baking Time: 1:35 hour
Baking Round Pan size: 8 1/2 inches.
- Be sure to wash and peel the skin from the sweet potato.
- Grate the sweet potato fine.
- Grate or blend the diced coconut with no more than 4 cups of water and squeeze juice using a strainer.
- Soak the raisins in red wine for 1 hour or more.
- Cut two pieces of grease paper to the size-baking pan you are using.
- Next grease the pan with butter or oil. Then lay the pieces of grease paper inside the baking pan flat.
- Now, Use a big bowl to sift the flour, cornmeal, mixed spice, salt, and nutmeg. (Add the dried ingredients) together, followed by adding the grated potatoes.
- Add sugar and the 2 cups of coconut milk with everything else from the ingredient.
- Use a wooden spoon, Combine with love. Well!
- Next, add the dough to the greased baking pan.
- Lift and drop the baking pan two or three times.
- This gets out the air in the mixture.
- Use the baking pan's lid to cover it.
- Alternatively use foil, or a pot's lid, that has no plastic on it.
- Put in oven, on the rack up one from the middle.
- Before all of that, set your oven at 350 degrees F.
- Then set your timer for 1hour 35 minutes.
- Use baking Round Pan size: 8.5 inches with a lid.
- If you are using 7 inches pan the time is 45 minutes.
- When the sweet potato pudding is finish baking allow cooling. Use a knife score between the pudding’s sides of baking pan.
- Turn upside down to remove it in a plate.