Friday 13 June 2014

Life of Spice: Mango and Lime Stew Chicken


Mangoes are so in season and as much as I'd love to be able to eat them all at once; it's just not happening. I'm sitting just staring at all these mangoes in my kitchen basket, bambi, blackie and common mango. Ask me what I'm looking for? I don't know but then it hit me. Use mango with the chicken!

Ingredients: 
Half of a whole chicken (seasoned)
Four Bambi mangoes sliced (flesh)
Half of a large onion
1 small tomato
2 sprigs of thyme
1 lime
1\4 cup of water
1\2 cup of ketchup
1 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of red label wine
2 tbsp of oil
2-3 tbsp of browning
2 tsp of white vinegar
1 small scotch bonnet pepper

Method:
1. Place your oil in a large pot and allow to it to get hot.
2. Once it's hot, add your seasoned chicken to the pot.
3. Pour browning into the pot and toss until chicken is completely covered. 
4. Add onions, tomato, thyme, vinegar, honey, red label wine and lime juice.
5. Allow to simmer for 7-10 mins.
6. Add in mango slices, water, ketchup and pepper.
7. Reduce the flame and allow the meat to become tender (for about 30-50 mins).
8. Viola!

I added the honey and red label wine to the chicken while marinating but you can add it during the cooking process as well. Periodically, check and stir to prevent sticking and also not to let the gravy get boiled out too much. For visual assistance I have made a tutorial

What I used to season the meat while it marinated:
Maggi All purpose Chicken Seasoning
Mrs. Dash Salt-free Original seasoning blend
Salt
Black pepper

Happy cooking




No comments:

Post a Comment