Saturday, 13 July 2013
Life of Spice: Cornmeal Porridge
2 cups of cornmeal
1 tbsp of flour
2-5 cinnamon leaves
pinch of salt
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp grated nutmeg
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/1/2 cups of water
1/3 cup sugar (optional)
1. Add 2 cups of water, salt and cinnamon leaves to a pot. Allow to boil.
2. Place 2 cups of cornmeal and 1 tbsp flour in a bowl and combine with 1/2 water to make a loose paste.
3. After the water in the pot has started to boil; add the cornmeal mixture and stir continuously as to prevent lumps. Once the cornmeal has thickened you wont need to stir as much.
4. Turn to medium heat and allow to cook for atleast 25-30 minutes. Remember to stir occasionally.
5. After the 30 minutes, turn off the flame and sweeten the porridge by adding nutmeg, sugar, vanilla flavouring and condensed milk.
6. Serve at the desired temperature.
Be mindful that the cornmeal may pop or splatter while cooking so be careful.