Sunday 28 April 2013

Life of Spice: Jamaican Curry Chicken

It's been a very long time since I've gone one of these posts. Here are my previous post under this title Jamaican Cuisine Jamaican Cuisine. Anywho, if there's nothing you know about Yulli Blue what you should know is that I really love food. Most importantly, I am a big curry fan.




  Online research suggests that curry powder is a spice blend that is made from turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, coriander and red pepper. However, other ingredients may be added. I also discovered that curry was a European invention; however, I believe that the Indian culture was the biggest contributor as the curry tree is native to India. One a visit to the library one afternoon I read that consuming curry may reduce the risk of cancer. I found an article online which showcased eight benefits here


Preparation:

  You will season your meat of choice with onions, thyme, escallion, garlic, ginger, pimento, and curry powder. Allow to marinate overnight. We use what we call a dutchie or dutch pot (you may simply use a pot). In the pot I'd place about 3 tbsps of oil and allow it to get hot. Some people will add curry powder to the oil so as to burn it and also to add some colour for the final results. My mom usually tells me that improperly cooking curry will affect your system which may result in running belly (diarrhea). However, adding the extra powder to the oil is merely a personal choice. I'd now add the chicken to the pot and thoroughly combine. Followed by adding the seasoning. Then add enough water to cover the chicken but not completely. I'd add some more chopped onions and let it simmer over medium to low heat. I would now add cho cho or potatoes to steam with the meat. Once the meat is cooked and flavour is as desired I would turn off the heat.

I will provide a Youtube video of a tutorial; however, each person has their own technique and process of cooking curry. This is merely an illustration of one technique. ( I need to start making videos)

Picture of Dutchie/Dutch Pot
Picture of Cho Cho









Jamaica - Out of Many One People

No comments:

Post a Comment